Tuesday, June 07, 2005

A set list to rival Willie Nelson's?

This is a set list from a 2002 concert. The last time I saw Willie Nelson live, he was doing a very similar set -- but come on, who else touring nowadays does (a) this many songs and (b) such a sample of country music from the earliest Carter Family songs to their own most recent hit. George Strait makes sure he throws in a little Western Swing, but is there anyone else of the current crop who willlingly ties themselves back to a whole history of country music? Alison Krauss, perhaps. Dwight Yoakam in a certain way. But it sure would be great if there was a new generation Willie Nelson, writing amazing songs that become standards but also going back to play other people's standards. In this way, Willie really is like a great jazz artist. I wish there was a Jamie Cullum or Diana Krall of country music. I'd snap up their CDs in heartbeat.

WILLIE NELSON Set List (April 11, 2002):
1. Whiskey River
2. Stay A Little Longer
3. Good Hearted Woman
4. Funny How Time Slips Away
5. Crazy
6. Night Life
7. Down Yonder
8. Working Man Blues
9. Help Me Make It Through The Night
10. Me And Bobby McGee
11. Me And Paul
12. If You've Got The Money, I've Got The Time
13. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
14. Blue Skies
15. Georgia On My Mind
16. All Of Me
17. Stardust
18. Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys
19. Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground
20. On The Road Again
21. Always On My Mind
22. Seven Spanish Angels
23. To All The Girls I've Loved Before
24. Luckenbach, TX (The Basics Of Love)
25. Whiskey River (reprise)
26. Still Is Still Moving To Me
27. Milk Cow Blues
28. Pancho And Lefty
29. Maria (Shut Up And Kiss Me)
30. Just Dropped In To See (What Condition My Condition Was In)
31. The Great Divide
32. My Bucket's Got A Hole In It
33. Jambalaya
34. Hey Good Lookin'
35. Ou Es-Tu, Mon Amour?
36. I Never Cared For You
37. 'Til I Gain Control Again
38. Will The Circle Be Unbroken?
39. I'll Fly Away
40. Rainbow Connection
41. Move It On Over
42. Mr. Record Man
43. Hello Walls
44. One Day At A Time
45. Truck Drivin' Man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home