Sunday, June 05, 2005

Rascal Flatts on the Cover of Country Weekly

The girls love Rascal Flatts, it's true. And you fans of the trio will be thrilled with the current issue of Country Weekly, which has the boys on the cover.

Personally, I just don't get their appeal. Every song they do sounds exactly the same to me. Frankly, I switch off the radio every time they come on. Because they're so popular, that's a lot of switching.

Before you crucify me, I'll admit that I also can't stand Keith Urban for the same reason. I know, I know -- what with Kenny Chesney now married, Joe Don and Mr. Urban are about it for single hunks, so I'm not knocking those girls who love them because they're the only available sex symbols on the market right now. And I will give them both points for doing their sex symbol duty in the videos (especially Joe Don's famous butt shot).

But nothing is going to win me over. People argue they're great live, but I saw them open for Toby Keith a few years ago and wasn't blown away. And I know they win tons of awards. But like so many of today's stars, I seriously doubt any of their material is up to standing the test of time.

A guy in Nashville once explained to me that there was a real need for a boy band in country music, something like *NSync or Backstreet Boys, and voila, here comes Rascal Flatts, doing their best to fill that void. So I acknowledge there is a need for their existence.

And I do think Country Weekly needs to represent the reigning popular artists on their covers -- so it's great the boys are getting their moment of cover boy glory. But you're never going to convince me to read this cover story.

However, those of you who adore the boys should definitely pick up a copy. You won't be disappointed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home